Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Royal Green











I have a small collection, about a dozen, of vintage and antique typewriters. I find them to be aesthetically interesting, mechanically and typographically, and also purely visually, as much as for the history of writing they demonstrate. I've an ongoing series of photos and artworks based around these typewriters, and others I've photographed in thrift stores but not brought home.

I was playing with saturation and desaturation in these images: making everything into grayscale except the bright green typewriter keys. Then I just started to have fun. Good way to spend an evening, to make a little artwork.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth said...

These wonderful photos remind me of Paul Auster's 'The Story of my Typewriter', a glorious illustrated volume. See: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/paul-auster/story-of-my-typewriter.htm

5:06 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Cool.

I'll check it out.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Fickle Cattle said...

I learned how to type on a typewriter, not a keypad. It's hard work, especially if you want to center your title, or edit your work.

I like the first shot.

ficklecattle.blogspot.com

2:21 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Me too. Finger strength, it's all about finger strength. I learned to type on my SCM portable, and after a year I could probably do push-ups with my fingers.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Rachel Fox said...

Love those green keys. To begin with I thought you were keeping your typewriters in a fridge!
x

7:49 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Hi Rachel—

LOL Well, I suppose the cold keys would make for some fast writing, before one froze one's fingers.

I love the green, too. That's really what attracted my first to this typewriter. It's eye-catching.

I think writing ought to be a pleasurable, sensual experience. You know? Like I always use a good pen that writes smoothly on paper. And I love the feel of the paper. So these green keys were like that: sensual.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home