Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Dusk in the Grand Tetons

images from Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, March 2010



Two days of driving from rain-forest fern-and-moss greening to winter dusk in the mountains. Two days of dry roads, racing ahead of the next weather front. Two days of disturbed sleep, probably from the altitude; I seem to be more susceptible to altitude sickness than before. Finding a place to sleep, then rushing out to meet the last light over the mountains. Return from greening to deep winter cold and snow.







Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth said...

Post card picture perfect.

Back to the cold again, Art and now with additional altitude. You are a brave man indeed.

5:32 AM  
Blogger John Ettorre said...

Boy, do I envy you that trip. On the other hand, maybe this will nudge me to plan a trip of my own like this.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Elizabeth, well, tonight it was freezing fog: half-inch horizontal icicles on the leading surfaces of my truck. I stopped early because of it, and am spending a "night off" in a hotel in central South Dakota.



John, let me know when and where you want to go. I'm good at planning trips for my friends. :)

It's like that verse from the Joni Mitchell song "Hejira":

People don't tell you where they've gone
They tell you where to go
But till you get there, yourself
You never really know.


I took that to heart. So I tell people where I've gone. But I'm good at details. :)

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home