Saturday, October 08, 2011

Japanese Garden: Fresh Visions


Gateway

I am currently getting heavily involved in infrared digital photography. I've been wanting to get into IR photography for several years, but during the era of film it was so technically challenging and difficult that it was beyond me. Now, in the digital photography era, it has become much simpler and easier to do. I purchased an IR filter for my digital camera(s) at the beginning of September, and have been exploring ever since. It's a whole new way to see the world: the world revealed as the eye never sees it.

I'll have more to say about all this soon, both technically and philosophically. Meanwhile, I'm going to hit the road for a few days, take in a concert, do some fall color photography and videography up north, and I'm taking along the IR rig.

Meanwhile, here are some IR photos made at the nearby Japanese garden—one of my favorite settings for making photographs. I find the stillness and peacefulness in this images to be what my spirit needs right now, to become settled, calm, and refreshed. I hope they do as well for you.













Infrared photography, because it makes use of the longer wavelengths both near and far from the red spectrum that we can see, requires longer exposures. The IR filters themselves function to block out the visible spectrum while letting through the longer wavelengths. All of this means time exposures on the tripod. Even on a sunny afternoon, exposures can take between 1 and 4 seconds to achieve proper exposure and contrast.


(time exposure with zoom in IR)


(time exposure using natural light and color)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Swanee said...

Oh my. Those are going to be stunning printed on silver paper. (Some of us have birthdays coming up, you know. Just sayin'.)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Not TOO subtle, no.

The thought had already occurred, you lucky Swan.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home