Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rumours of Spring





Our first really warm spring day here, the bulbs emerging and exploding into color. First the crocus, which already started a week ago and are almost done by now. Then the daffodils and tulips and lilies coming up in the front garden. The back porch garden, which gets the most light, the tulips already going.




In the morning, still foggy, the tulips not yet open. By afternoon, when the sun burned off the fog, these exotics were already fully open, fully colored, spread wide.



I have a lot of standard, familiar, red chalice-shaped tulips. But my favorites are these exotics. Tulips that are different from the norm. I have some fringed varieties, also, that will open soon. I like the varieties, and I like the unusual flowers. My garden as ever is planned to be a riot of color, with blooms opening and blasting out their colors from now until autumn. Always something in bloom, always something giving out color and life.



And then, of course, there are the lawn sculptures in the stores they're trying to sell you to make your garden even more "beautiful." Nothing I would ever buy, or ever put out. I love the natural beauty of my garden, these hilariously kitsch items would do nothing to "improve" it. But they're fun to look at in the store.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Swanee said...

You realize that this forces me into picking up an even more garish lawn ornament as your ole-ole...and how hurt I'll be if you don't display it prominently.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

I like the big birds the best. The problem with something like that is seeing it in your garden on its own and suddenly from being ‘fun’ it becomes rather sad. Garden decoration isn’t very big in Scotland, the odd tiny wheelbarrow or something tasteful like that. Gnomes are still quite popular though. The one exception I can recall from my childhood was a front ‘garden’ – I use the term loosely because there was no greenery whatsoever – where the householder had laid concrete slabs and covered them in gnomes of all shapes and sizes. It was a good idea but poorly executed and tacky-looking.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Swanee, no promises. I may hide.

Jim, those big birds are about 3 feet tall or so. Pretty large and tacky indeed.

Lawn gnomes. Ugh.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home