Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fern Fiddleheads

images from Robert H Treman State Park, Ithaca, NY



Young fern sprouts are called fiddleheads till the head uncoils and the leaves spread out. They're edible, when this young and tender. In the Northeast they're supposed to be a delicacy in salads. There are inns and farms and other small businesses named Fiddlehead that I drive by throughout Vermont, New Hampshire, and upstate New York.



This roadtrip, as I follow the line of spring advancing north and east, I've seen more of spring than usual, as my travel extends the season from my viewpoint. I enjoy seeing the wildflower and tree blossoms for two weeks, and the fern fiddleheads for a full week. Usually, if you're not traveling, once spring gets going, it moves fast. It can be a matter of mere days between first bud and full leafing-out. This roadtrip stretches out early spring's timeline from my perspective, making it last weeks. So I'm getting more early spring photos than I ever have before. I'm distracted at times by my own processes, but I still have numerous opportunities to capture early spring, and see it, and appreciate it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave King said...

Interesting info' there - and some interesting thoughts, such as the road stretching out spring's timeline. Food for the imagination, there.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Yeah, the timeline being stretched was a unique experience. It allowed me to really linger with some of these images and scenes. Which was good for the photography, as I had several extra opportunities to catch something otherwise very quick and ephemeral.

Thanks for the comments, as ever.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home