Saturday, August 13, 2011

Clouds from Many Angles

I take fast walks around the block now to gradually increase my exercise, adding more time or speed or distance gradually. The goal being to start burning more calories then I take in. This is all part of the recovery after surgery, and the work to restore and improve health. I took a fast walk at noon, with storm clouds building to the west, and rumbles of rolling thunder off in the distance. It began to lightly rain just as I returned to my own front walk and unlocked my door.

Yesterday the sky was filled with dramatic cloudscapes. I grabbed the camera and went for a drive out into the farmfields. I got several good photographs of dramatic forms hovering over the tall green tassled corn, sometimes gaps of blue sky appearing through a tunnel of grey and white and steel blue grey. There were drops of rain on the windshield as I drove, from time to time, but it wasn't a heavy rain. Other moments the sky was layered greys and steels, darkly ominous anvils above and darker featureless clouds below, pregnant with rain. I wandered through the afternoon with the camera, stopping at times to frame an image. I drove back into town by back farm roads that no one but locals ever drive on, and stopped at the giant hardware and farm supply store. I stood in the parking lot making more photographs, then walked around the store for more exercise.

funnel of sky
past rolling pins and flights:
flash of heaven

Walking around the block one more time a half-hour before midnight, to walk off some energy. Feeling restless all evening, legs twitching with the desire to move, but feeling tired mostly. The sky half-filled with scudding clouds, thin peels covering the full moon then vaporizing. The moon blazing with silver radiance, light flooding the clouds that scud past it. On the eastern horizon, above the houses and trees, stacked thunderstorm clouds move off further east, their tops illuminated pale silver-blue by the full moon’s light. As I walk, they strobe and flicker with silent lightning from within. Layers and shapes revealed in flash what the moon's light made seem featureless.

midnight thunderheads
to the east lit by full moon:
lightning flash within

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Ingersoll said...

a show worth getting out of the house for ...

11:44 PM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Indeed.

I'm going to post some of the photos, soon. I just need to download them, sort through them for the best ones, and prep them for viewing.

Today was a similar dramatic sky. I shot a few more photos, but conditions were more difficult, so we'll see if anything came of it.

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home