Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Aubade with Oranges and the Ghost of a Poet



Aubade with Oranges and the Ghost of a Poet


There are fourteen owls strung along the fence
wire, Federico. Their heads to turn to look
into each other’s eyes, then yours, Federico.

There are pale-skinned farmer boys splashing naked
in the bend of the river where it pools deep as night,
Federico. There are pale boys laughing in the water.

There are ice rings around the bold summer moon
where it spins, Federico. Above the white-skinned
birch it whirls, shedding coins about the small-fruited trees.

There are old scars upon the olive skin of the sleeping
boy, Federico. His lover sits nude beside him,
Federico, and watches his breath, like oranges, like moths.

In the morning, Federico, this will all be lost.
He will be gone from my blankets, leaving but a trace
of his scented oranges. I will breathe in those blankets,

Federico, I will spare them from the laundry’s correctives.
I will rescue his breath, his lingering image impressed
into the mattress. And with my stained hands, Federico,

remember.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth said...

An evocative poem, Art. The owls and oranges, the ghost of the great poet and memories. Thank you.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

I agree with Lis, Art, but I think you overdo the Federicos. Like most people I like it when others use my name - one likes to be remembered, Art - but the more they use it the less I like it and if I was the Federico in this poem I'd want to slap the narrator by the end of this piece, Art.

3:45 AM  
Blogger C. H. said...

Bravo.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Thanks for the comments, all.

Jim, repetition is very typical of a certain style within Lorca's poetry, so the repetition is actually in keeping, and is an homage. I'll take your thoughts under advisement, though.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

So why did you take that cheap shot on Archambeau's blog today, Art?

I would have thought that would be beneath you.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

And making an inappropriate comment over here on a completely unrelated thread isn't also a cheap shot? And if you thought I was referring to you with that "cheap shot," you're either being paranoid or the shoe fits. As I said, actions speak louder than words.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Gary B. Fitzgerald said...

I was defending Henry.

And taking a laptop into the woods does not camping make.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Feel free to defend Henry, or Kirby, or any of the others you might want to defend. That changes nothing about their often ridiculous behavior and commentaries. Nor does it change my opinions of them, or about any of the pointless drama. Which only underlines my point about the whole tiresome clan who always like to get in the last dig, on any given discussion.

As for the laptop, since you mention it apparently to get in just such a last dig, it stays in the car. I write, if I write, in my handwritten journal, when traveling, when camping. The laptop might be taken out of its travel bag maybe once a week, just to delete spam, when one decides to spend a quiet hour at a café in the middle of nowhere that nonetheless has WiFi. Don't pretend you or any other addicted online poetry blog commentator do any different.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home