Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Piano Etudes 2

Another piano étude from my music school days. Again, this is a bit reminiscent of Chopin, and somewhat inspired by having played Chopin's Preludes.

This is one of my personal favorites of these little piano pieces. I still enjoy playing through it. It's a bit dark and moody, which is a mode I have been accused of spending a lot of time in, musically.

The falling chromatic style of this piece is one I have returned to, in later work, most notably in a piece for Stick I wrote a few years ago, called Kanjo. Kanjo has a rather different mood or feel to it, as well as being more martial due to the frame drums played throughout. (Listen to Kanjo here.)

One can use the same basic modal or chromatic idea in many different ways, for different effects. This is why writing music is so much fun.


Option-Click or Right-Click on the image for a downloadable full-size PDF of the music, suitable for printing and/or playing.

Standard Note on the Music: Feel free to download and play any of these piano études. The only thing I require, in the spirit of "giving away" my music, is that if someone does download and perform or record one of my pieces, they must send me an MP3 and a concert announcement, for my records.

(©AP Durkee. All Rights Reserved.)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

An interesting piece, Kanjo. I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard the percussion at the start. I was thinking of something like Harry Partch to be honest, at least that was the first thing that jumped to my mind although I've only heard a little by him, not quite frenetic enough to be compared to early Steve Reich although it might have picked up. And then it all stopped and shifted gear into this lugubrious, smoky, late-night jazz piece with an African rhythm section. Nice.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Art Durkee said...

Thanks.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home